Andrea is an experienced, highly effective, specialist employment lawyer.
Andrea is well known for providing astute, commercially sound and pragmatic advice. Her prior experience in human resources ensures a first-hand understanding that people are essential to an organisation’s success and that there are rewards and challenges that arise from managing staff.
Andrea is recognised as one of few specialists in the greater Waikato region to conduct high quality, independent workplace investigations into allegations of misconduct (including harassment and bullying).
Andrea is frequently sought after as a commentator and presenter on employment law issues. She presents to client and industry seminars (including the New Zealand Law Society, LexisNexis, ConfereNZ, EMA and various Chambers of Commerce), and provides advice and training to other lawyers, professional advisors, human resources practitioners, directors and leadership teams. Andrea is a guest lecturer to the University of Waikato, and Co-Convenor of the Waikato Bay of Plenty Branch NZLS Employment Law Committee.
Andrea has a specialist interest and expertise in sectors including health (in particular mental health), sport and recreation, and education. She provides advice and representation in Coronial Inquiries.
Andrea is a Trustee of Child Matters, New Zealand’s leading charitable trust dedicated to the prevention of child abuse through education of whanau, community and workforce. She also contributes governance expertise as a member of the Cambridge Primary School Board of Trustees, where she is presently the Deputy Chair.
In the past, Andrea has also assisted clients with legal advice about resource management issues. Her work in this area included water allocation, environmental compliance, rural issues, environmental prosecutions, due diligence, advocacy for consent and planning processes, as well as appearances in the District, Environment and Maori Land Courts.
Andrea’s expertise includes:
- Acting for employee and employer clients, recognising the sensitivities involved in workplace relations
- Advising on all aspects of employment issues including the resolution of workplace disputes / personal grievances, redundancy and restructuring, dismissals and disciplinary action, performance management, medical issues (including stress and incapacity), bullying and harassment, restraints of trade, IT and social media issues and the employment implications of selling/purchasing a business
- Advising on privacy issues associated with employment relationships
- Advocacy/dispute resolution, including attending mediations and appearances in the Employment Relations Authority, Employment Court and Human Rights Review Tribunal
- Advising on governance and management health and safety obligations, as well as representation of employers in health and safety investigations and prosecutions
- Conducting independent investigations into allegations made within the employment relationship, such as bullying, harassment and workplace stress.
- Reporting to, as well as representation and advocacy in disciplinary proceedings brought by professional bodies, such as the Education Council Complaints Assessment Committee
- Employment and contracting issues
- Commercial law issues, such as sponsorship, restraints of trade and image rights.